Toilets, just like any other item in your home, do not last forever. So how do you know when it’s time to toilet repair or replace this important fixture?
It’s essential to make sure that toilets are functioning properly in order to ensure safety and hygiene for the family. While most toilets can last for a long time, there may come a time when you need to repair or replace them. Knowing when and what needs addressing will help keep your home safe and up-to-date.
When it comes to understanding whether your toilet needs an upgrade, timing is key – replacement parts can often fix minor issues while major repairs may result in needing a completely new unit. In this article, we’ll go over the tell-tale signs that show it’s time to repair or replace your toilet so you will be empowered with the information needed to make the right decision for your budget and well-being.
- Leaks: If you notice water leaking from your toilet, it’s time to take a closer look. Check the tank and bowl for any signs of cracks or damage that could be causing the leak. If the leak is coming from a worn-out seal or gasket, then you may be able to repair it with a new part. If you want to learn more, here is a related blog about how to resolve the leaking issue in your toilet. However, if the damage is more extensive, then it may be time to replace the entire toilet.
- Clogs: If your toilet is constantly clogging or overflowing, it’s likely that there is a blockage in the pipes. This can usually be fixed by using a plunger or auger to clear out the obstruction. If this doesn’t work, then you may need to call a plumber to investigate further.
- Poor Flushing: If your toilet is not flushing properly, it could be due to a number of issues such as a clog or a broken flapper valve. If the problem persists after trying to unclog the toilet, then you may need to replace the flapper valve or other parts in order to get it working again.
- Cracks: If you notice any cracks in the porcelain of your toilet, then it’s time to replace it. Cracks can cause water to leak out and create a hazardous situation.
- Age: Toilets typically last for around 10-15 years before they need to be replaced. If your toilet is older than this, then it may be time to upgrade to a newer model.
In conclusion, it’s important to be aware of the signs that indicate your toilet needs to be repaired or replaced. Leaks, clogs, poor flushing, cracks, and age are all indicators that it may be time for a new unit. For the best solution to any plumbing issue, it is advised to contact a professional plumber for assessment.
How often should a toilet be checked for problems?
It is important to regularly check your toilet for any signs of wear and tear or potential problems. Toilets should be checked at least once a month, or more often if you notice any issues. Look for signs such as leaks, clogs, poor flushing, cracks in the porcelain, and age. If you notice any of these issues, then it’s best to call a professional plumber to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.
What should you consider before deciding if you need toilet repair or toilet replacement?
Before deciding if your toilet needs to be repaired or replaced, it is important to consider the cost of repairs versus the cost of a new unit. If the repair costs are more than half the price of a new toilet, then it may be more cost-effective to replace it. Additionally, think about the use period of the toilet and if you want a newer version with extra features. Finally, you should also consider the age of the toilet and whether or not it is still under warranty.
Time to Call the Experts if you require toilet repair
When it comes to toilet repairs or replacements, it is best to call the experts. Professional plumbers have the experience and knowledge to assess the situation and determine the best course of action. They also know the Australian plumbing code standard and they can also provide advice on what type of toilet would be most suitable for your home and budget. Additionally, they can install the new unit quickly and safely, ensuring that everything is done correctly. So if you’re unsure about how to proceed with your toilet repairs or replacements, it’s best to call the experts.